Itzamna The Serpent from the East

Itzamna was the Mayas’ earliest culture-bearer, also known as the “White Man,” who preceded the arrival of the more famous Kukulcan, or “Feathered Serpent.” The latter appears to have represented survivors from the final destruction of Atlantis, in 1198 B.C. Itzamna was the original founder of Mesoamerican civilization and one of the most important deities of Mayan mythology. The ruler of the heavens and of day and night, he was often shown in Mayan art as a pleasant, toothless old man with a large nose. He was also identified as the son of the creator god Hunab Ku. In various myths, Itzamná appears as a culture hero who gave the Maya the foundations of civilization. He and his wife, Ixchel, the “White Lady,” were among immigrants fleeing westward during the late fourth millennium B.C., when their Atlantean homeland was beset with the first in a series of four geologic upheavals.

J. Eric S. Thompson originally interpreted the name Itzamna as "lizard house", itzam being a Yucatecan word for iguana and naaj meaning "house". However, Thompson's translation has gradually been abandoned. While there is no consensus on the exact meaning of the name Itzamna, it may be significant that itz is a root denoting all sorts of secretions (such as dew, sap, and semen) and also sorcery. The otherwise unattested, agentive form itzam could thus mean "asperser" or "sorcerer".

In the Maya cosmology, the Chilam Balam, and Juan Darreygosa’s 16th-century Historia de Zodzil, Itzamna bears the title “Serpent from the East” and is described as “the first after the flood.” He arrived on the eastern shores of the island of Cozumel, where the ruins of several temples to him and Ixchel still stand, just off the Yucatan peninsula.

Moving to the mainland, he built the first version of Chichen Itza and 140 other ceremonial centers and cities. The Mayas believed Itzamna brought all the arts of civilization to Yucatan after the Great Flood. These included city-planning, astronomy-astrology, agriculture, writing, organized labor, sculpture, mathematics, book-illumination, government, and music. According to legend, he taught them to grow corn, to write, to use calendars, and to practice medicine. He also introduced a system for dividing up the land, and he established rituals for religious worship. He is portrayed in temple art, such as friezes at the Maya ceremonial center of Tikal, in Guatemala, as a long-nosed, bearded man rowing his boat across the sea from which he came.


The Atlantis Encyclopedia by Frank Joseph

Pic Source:
16:20 | 0 komentar

The White Lady of Crook Hall

Located at  the north side of Durham City lies the enchanting Crook Hall. Built in sandstone with a Welsh slate roof, the oldest part dates from the 14th century. At one end is a 17th-century extension to which an 18th-century additional extension is attached, comprising 11 bays in all. It is surrounded by English country style gardens. This stunning 13th century house provides a dramatic and atmospheric backdrop to its stunning gardens; it is place of serenity and beauty. The building is reputedly haunted by the "White Lady" and is open to the public throughout most of the year. In 1463, Cuthbert Billingham inherited Crook Hall and it is believed to be his niece who haunts Crook Hall.

Crook Hall

Known as the White Lady, she has been observed by many folk silenty meandering through the house. The ghost of Crook Hall ha been well known for many, many years now and her ghost is seen every now and again, but more often than not she is usually felt. According to local folklore, the best chance to see the full apparitional form of White Lady is on St. Thomas's Eve (December 20). On this date, five days before Christmas, she is said to float down the ancient wooden staircase in the circular turret of the manor house.

The ghost of White Lady is said to descend into the stairwell every year on December 20

A sign in Crook Hall reads:

'There have been numerous sightings of the White Lady over the centuries. She is usually said to glide silently and gently down the stairs, although on one occasion, she was reported to thoroughly alarm guests who had been invited to Crook Hall for a ball by a rather more dramatic appearance. A banquet had been laid out inthe medieval hall, but as the guests moved into the Screen's Passage, they heard a soft rustle followed by a loud crash. When they looked into the hall they found that the tables had been overturned, destroying the banquet. A further rustle and a glimpse of a white figure convinced them that this was the work of the White Lady.'


Paranormal Magazine (Issue 56 - February 2011) : The White Lady of Crook Hall written by Darren W. Ritson page 17

Pic Source:

Paranormal Magazine (Issue 56 - February 2011) : The White Lady of Crook Hall written by Darren W. Ritson page 17

The ghost of White Lady is said to descend into the stairwell every year on December 20
17:40 | 0 komentar

Ghost Village of Achill Island

Along the southern slope of Slievemore Mountain, which is on Achill Island in Co. Mayo, the ruins of nearly 100 stone cottages remain. Achill Island was once home to what appeared to be a thriving village established in 1838. Over forty homes once lined the valley near Keem Bay, but today all that remains of the abandoned settlement is a few mounds of earth hinting at what once stood above ground. It is believed that the cottages were at least semi-inhabited as recently as the mid-1900s as “booley” homes, where farmers would live during the summer months with their herds grazing nearby. However, archaeological finds indicate that the area was inhabited as far back as medieval times.

Locals in the area have no memory of the village, and the only records left behind were collected by travel writers who noted the village’s serene beauty but described the locals as “primitive and backward.” Given that the other settlements on the island remained inhabited, what could have happened to the village at Keem?

Keem Bay (Present Day)

The larger of the houses excavated by the team measured about 23 feet long by 10 feet wide, and may have also been a winter home for cattle, since it had a stone-lined drain near the door. The students also uncovered pieces of fine, decorated earthenware from English potteries, three glass beads that may have been part of a rosary, and lumps of amethyst from a nearby quarry that were sold to tourists drawn by the Protestant Achill Mission, which was founded in 1831. The village is thought to have been abandoned during the Great Famine of the 1840s.

An Archaeological Field School is held annually at the Deserted Village under the guidance of a local expert, and it is hoped that this research will yeild yet further clues as to the history and former inhabitants of this most evocative of villages.


Pic Source:
21:33 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget


Popular Posts